As we enter a new year, Tunbridge Wells Liberal Democrats recognise that our immediate focus must be on fighting and recovering from the Coronavirus pandemic. The new year also allows us to look further forward and outline our plan for Tunbridge Wells town and borough in 2021.
1. We want to build a sustainable community where people of all backgrounds want and are able to live, work, learn and play.
2. We need to recognise the terrible state the Tories have left our finances in and cut our cloth accordingly, but that doesn't have to mean a flurry of cuts. We will avoid open-ended commitments like £108m Calverley Square or bailing out Fusion Lifestyle (which manages our leisure centres) and focus on small projects which can be managed locally.
3. We recognise the concerns about the new housing developments proposed in the Local Plan. We will protect green spaces in the town while pressing for affordable, high-quality housing accompanied by the necessary infrastructure.
4. We need to support local businesses with cheaper parking at key hours and enable the establishment of new collaborative workspaces.
5. We will approach road safety with renewed vigour, pushing for more 20mph limits, safer walking and cycling, and a near-miss register.
6. We will preserve our theatres and support our thriving cultural scene, but we also want to focus on sports clubs and facilities, which have been neglected.
7. And finally, we commit to working constructively with other parties.